The ruined Cisertcian abbey at Rievaulx came under State Guardianship in 1917 on the death of (Lt. Col.) Lord Feversham on the Western Front in September 1916 [CWGC]. Its acquisition was welcomed by Sir Charles Peers. During the 1920s he removed some 90,000 tonnes of debris from the site. Following Peers’ retirement some reconstruction work was conducted.
From 1933 the abbey appeared in LNER railway posters (see here). Visitors were encouraged to travel to nearby Helmsley station.
The abbey had been founded in 1132.