Whithorn was one of the earliest Christian communities in Scotland. The priory along with St Ninian’s chapel and cave are in the care of Historic Scotland. The remains had been placed in state guardianship in 1908.
The original guide was by C.A. Ralegh Radford who had excavated at the site in 1949-53. The new (undated) Official Souvenir Guide is by Adrian Cox with Sally Gall and Peter Yeoman. The 40 pages are divided into two main sections: Guided Tour and History. The guide also covers Kirkmadrine Early Christian Stones (also in the care of Historic Scotland) and Chapel Finian. There is a section on the stones in the adjacent museum.
The remains include the nave of the medieval cathedral that lie adjacent to the parish church built in 1822.
St Ninian’s chapel can be found at the nearby Isle of Whithorn, close to where pilgrims would have landed. It probably dates to the early 13th century.