James S. Richardson was appointed Inspector of Ancient Monuments in Scotland in 1914. He prepared a series of the Ministry guidebooks from the 1920s (and some were revised in the 1980s).
- Edinburgh Castle (1929), with Marguerite Wood
- Huntingtower (1931) [revised 1982]
- Dryburgh Abbey (1932),with Marguerite Wood [revised by C.J. Tabraham, 1983]
- Melrose Abbey (1932),with Marguerite Wood
- Tantallon Castle (1932)
- Hailes Castle (1933)
- Dirleton Castle (1934) [revised by C.J. Tabraham, 1982]
- Elgin Cathedral (1934), with H.B. Mackintosh
- Linlithgow Palace (1934), with J. Beveridge [revised by F. Stewart, 1983]
- Dundrennan Abbey (1934)
- Sweetheart Abbey (1934)
- The Palace of Holyroodhouse (1936)
- The Castle of Stirling (1936), with Margaret E. Root
- The Castle of Balvenie (1936), with Margaret E. Barbour Simpson
- The Priory of Inchmahome (1937), with Margaret E. Barbour Simpson
Richardson’s work established a line of guidebooks for sites in guardianship in Scotland.
The preparation seems to have been prompted by Sir Charles Peers, the Chief Inspector. The continuing use of Richardson’s text in the present guidebooks (such as Dundrennan Abbey) over nearly 80 years indicates the value of his description and analysis.