A group of us went on a heritage “winter walk” as part of a well-being initiative at work. We had a walk round the Wet Dock that now forms part of the marina at Ipswich. The dock was planned by H.R. Palmer in 1837 and opened to shipping in 1842. A new entrance at the south end was created in 1881. This was crossed by a swing bridge to carry the railway (1903).
On the north side of the dock is the Old Custom House, designed by J.M. Clark and completed in 1845.
To the right of the Custom House is Waterfront House, originally a grain store. This was converted in 1986/7 as part of the initial regeneration of the Ipswich waterfront.