The main bath-house at Chesters lies to the east of the Roman fort and alongside the river North Tyne. Interestingly the Ministry signs use the English, rather than Latin, terms for the rooms. Thus the Hot Room is preferred over caldarium. (The present English Heritage guide designates this as the ‘Steam Room’.) This room also contained a ‘Hot Bath’ on its west side (now described as ‘Apse containing hot water fountain’).
David Breeze in the 14th edition of the Handbook to the Roman Wall describes the caldarium as a ‘hot room’. He interprets the apse as the location of ‘the warm bath’.
The site was placed in the care of the Ministry of Works in 1954.