The choir at Rievaulx is located to the south of the crossing in the abbey church. (The church is essentially orientated north-south due to the topographical constraints.) The Ministry guides (and plan) of the abbey describe this area as the ‘Quire’ though the new English Heritage guide describes it as the choir, the version used in the Ministry signs.
This area formed the extension of the church and dated to c. 1230. This area contains the foundations for the stalls of the monks.