One of the oldest was the guide for Richmond Castle (1926) by Sir Charles Peers. It continued through at least 13 impressions, and then as the English Heritage guide (1985), until at least 1988. The present English Heritage guide is combined with St Agatha’s Abbey, Easy, and is by John Goodall (2001).
This was followed by the guide for Helmsley Castle by Sir Charles Peers (1932) that continued in press through six impressions to 1980. The present English Heritage guide is by Jonathan Clark (2004).Peers also wrote the guide for Middleham Castle (1932) that continued in print through a 2nd (1978) and 3rd (1984) editions, the last as an English Heritage guide. The English Heritage guide was replaced with one by John Weaver (1993) and John R. Kenyon (2015).
Conisborough Castle’s first guide was by Michael W. Thompson (1959; 2nd ed. 1980), Assistant Inspector of Ancient Monuments, followed by Stephen Johnson’s English Heritage guide (1984). The present English Heritage ‘red’ guide is by Steven Brindle and Agnieszka Sadraei (2015).Thompson was also responsible for the guide to Pickering Castle (1958) that continued as the English Heritage guide to the castle (1985). The present guide is by Lawrence Butler (1993; rev. 2013).
An illustrated guide for Scarborough Castle was produced in 1960. This was replaced by the English Heritage guide by Graham Port (1989). The present English Heritage guide is by John A.A. Goodall (2000).
The paper guide for Clifford’s Tower in York dates back to 1943. This was written by B.H. St. J. O’Neil. This appeared as a 2nd edition (1982) and then as an English Heritage guide (1984). The present English Heritage guide is by Jonathan Clark (2010).