North Elmham was the location of an Anglo-Saxon cathedral for East Anglia. The site was excavated by the Reverend A.G. Legge in 1871, and was placed in State Guardianship in 1948.
Stuart E. Rigold prepared the paper guide for the site in 1960 (reprinted with amendments in 1966). The twelve page guide includes a history of the site, a general plan (on page 4) and a detailed plan of the cathedral (pp. 6-7), followed by a description: the castle earthworks; the cathedral, the west tower, the nave, the eastern arm, and Despenser’s adaptations.
The site is now in the care of English Heritage and is known as North Elmham Chapel.