The 17th century rows of housing at Great Yarmouth were badly damaged by bombing during the Second World War. Part of the Old Merchant’s House on South Quay was purchased by the Great Yarmouth Historical Buildings Company in 1908. The structure was damaged by enemy action and was restored by the Ministry of Works after it took over responsibility in 1949. The house and Row 111 houses are now in the care of English Heritage.
AIR RAID DAMAGE IN GREAT BRITAIN DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR© IWM (H 8803)
The MPBW card guide predates the Beeching cuts to the railway. Note that there are three stations shown on the map of Great Yarmouth: Southdown station is now closed. Beach Station had been closed to passengers in 1959.
The interior of the card provides additional information about the rows and illustrates some of the finds.