The remains of ancient settlements on the island of Birsay, located just to the north west of Mainland in Orkney, are described in the Historic Scotland guidebook (1986) by Anna Ritchie.
The main sections are:
- Introduction: ‘Ane litell holme within the sea’
- History: Picts and Norsemen
- Tour: an exploration of the island
- Station 1: The carpark on the Point of Buckquoy
- Station 2: Pictish symbol stone
- Station 3: Norse houses
- Station 4: Norse smithy
- Station 5: A Norse house
- Station 6: Norse house and Pictish well
- Station 7: ‘Grand entrance’
- Station 8: The church
- The museum
There is also a short bibliography.
There is a reconstruction of one of the Norse houses by Alan Sorrell.
Like some of the early English Heritage guidebooks there is acknowledgement of the support and sponsorship of Gateway.