MacLellan’s Castle stands in the centre of Kirkcudbright. The castle was ready for occupation in 1582.
The kitchen lies on the ground floor of the castle with access to the hall above via a dedicated stairway. The Ministry sign explains how the fireplace worked. This space is some 4 m wide.
Historic Scotland has tried to capture the fire by reconstructing some ‘cooking’ in the space.