The fort guarding the isthmus leading to the Methana peninsula marks the site of Taktikopolis, established during the Greek War of Independence. It served as the base of the Frenchman Colonel Fabvier, and was probably constructed in 1826-27. Fabvier considered the base to be ‘the Cadiz of Greece’.
The fort appears to have been designed to contain artillery, with two towers facing the approach from the south.
Immediately to the north of the fort, and slightly overlapping with it, is a classical or hellenistic elliptical defence work.