The Laybrothers’ Range at Rievaulx Abbey lies on the north side of the cloister, to the west of the north end of the abbey church, and adjacent to the Galilee Porch. This forms part of the earliest part of the foundation linked to Abbot William.
The current English Heritage guidebook describes this block of buildings as the ‘West Range’ (remembering that the church is orientated north-south). Sir Charles Peers’ guide described it as the Laybrothers’ Range (‘singularly small and inadequate’).
The dormitory (dorter) for the lay brothers was located on the first floor. It was linked to to the church by a night stair. (For the dorter on the opposite side of the cloister see here.)
The building was reorganised around 1300, and the dormitory became a granary.