Clifford’s Tower is located in the south-east corner of Brough Castle. It formed part of the reconstruction of the castle by Lady Anne Clifford (1590-1676) [ODNB]. Brough Castle had been destroyed by fire in 1521, and her work started in 1659, and seems to have concluded by 1663 (when an inscription was erected).
Lady Anne was married first in 1609 to Richard Sackville, Lord Buckhurst, third earl of Dorset (1589–1624); and in 1630 to Philip Herbert, first earl of Montgomery and fourth earl of Pembroke (1584–1650).
The tower includes rectangular windows reflecting the more residential nature of the restoration. Lady Anne’s rooms were in the upper part of the tower. To the west of the tower was the Great Hall.
The castle lies in the northern part of the Roman fort, and Clifford’s tower is adjacent to the line of the original Roman ditech.