The Water Tank and Cistern lie to the east of the east granary at Corbridge. It was fed by a water supply that approached from the north.
A fragmentary inscription found in the fountain records a dedication by the XXth Legion (RIB 1165). This may be linked to another inscription recording the XXth legion that took the form of a pediment containing two victories (RIB 1164).
Eric Birley’s Ministry guidebook identified the feature as ‘Fountain and Water Tank’, and dated it to the Antonine period. He wrote: ‘The fountain proper consisted of a decorative fountain-house, designed in the fashion of a shrine, to judge by architectural remains of its structure found on the site’.
Notice the later statue base beside the fountain.