Ruthven Barracks date to 1719-21, and lie above the river Spey overlooking the Insh marshes (in the care of RSPB). The barracks are contemporary with the Bernera Barracks guarding the crossing to Skye. A stable block was added in 1734.
The garrison was attacked in 1745, with the loss of one of the garrison, but was captured by the Jacobite forces in February 1746.
Ruthven Barracks are in the care of Historic Environment Scotland. They include the three-storeyed barrack blocks.