The Roman fort at Vindolanda was purchased by Eric Birley in the sale of the Clayton estate in 1929. Birley placed the fort itself into state care in November 1939. The Vindolanda Trust was formed in 1970 and the fort is now managed as part of the larger site including the vicus.
It is thought that the first fort was erected c. AD 85.
The Ministry of Works sign appears to be located at the west entrance to the fort.