The iron age hillfort at Old Sarum was taken into State Guardianship in February 1892. It contained a later medieval castle as well as the remains of a cathedral started in 1078.
Excavations by the Society of Antiquaries were conducted in 1909. The site is now managed by English Heritage.
The Ministry sign was originally mounted on the side of the custodian’s hut.