Work on The Hold, the new heritage centre for Suffolk, is making progress. This week the membrane went down for the archive.
Journal summary: The RICS Building Surveying Journal (BSJ) is published bi-monthly and distributed in the UK and internationally to members of the Building Surveying Professional Group.
It helps building surveyors with technical and professional aspects of their day jobs and covers topics ranging from pathology assessments through design and maintenance issues to the repair, refurbishment and restoration of buildings, keeping readers up to date with changes affecting business/practice matters.
Publisher: RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)
Access: Open access; print subscription via membership
Journal type: Professional journal
I noticed a sign on the garden gate at National Trust Mottistone: it appears to be a standard Ministry of Works sign. It needs to be remembered that the Royal Label Factory produced signs for both the Ministry and the National Trust.
For other Ministry ‘private’ signs:
St Martin’s Kirk is on the eastern edge of Haddington and dates to the 12th century. It is possible that the kirk was attended by the reformer John Knox who was born in the town.
The Kirk is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
Melrose Abbey was a Cistercian foundation from Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire. It was placed in State Guardianship in 1919.
The first guidebook was prepared by James S. Richardson and Marguerite Wood (1932). A second edition was prepared in 1949, and this continued into the period when the abbey was cared by the Department of the Environment. This phase coincided with a short card guide (1963), and a wider illustrated guide to the Border Abbeys (1964).
The guide by Richardson and Wood was revised by C. J. Tabraham (1981; revised 1989). This was illustrated in black and white, and contained a plan of the abbey inside the back card cover. This was further revised in 1995 and then reprinted in 2003.
This Historic Scotland guide has been revised by the ‘Official Souvenir Guide’ prepared by Chris Tabraham (2005). It is fully illustrated, much in colour. The guide includes the reconstruction by Alan Sorrell.
Portencross Castle is built on the Firth of Clyde and dates back to the 14th century. It faces the islands of Bute and (a little further away) Arran.
The castle was scheduled in 1955. It is now managed by the Friends of Portencross Castle who have been able to open up the castle with the support of HLF and Historic Scotland.
During the Second World War the castle was surveyed by Vere Gordon Childe.
Historic mills are potentially dangerous, and this Ministry sign at Saxtead Green Post Mill in Suffolk reminds visitors to take care. More direct signs warn about the stairs.