Vivius Marcianus, London © David Gill
The tombstone of Vivius Marcianus was found during the rebuilding of St Martin’s Church on Ludgate Hill in 1669 (RIB 17). (The church itself had been destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666.) The gravestone was then placed in the Ashmolean Museum (that opened in 1683); it is now displayed in the Museum of London (since 1974). It is likely that this came from the cemetery outside (and to the west) of Ludgate.
Vivius Marcianus is described as a centurion of the II Augustan Legion. He is shown in the relief holding the centurion’s stick, vitis, in his right hand. The legion was based at Caerleon in south Wales. There is a possibility that he was attached to the staff of the governor.
The monument was set up by Januaria Martina, his wife.
Barton-upon Humber © David Gill
The church of St Peter’s at Barton-upon-Humber is celebrated for its Anglo-Saxon tower. The archaeologist David G. Hogarth (1862-1927) was born in the adjacent vicarage; his father the Reverend George Hogarth was vicar of the parish (1858-89).
St Peter’s Church, Barton-upon-Humber © David Gill
Hogarth was educated at Winchester, and then read classics at Magdalen College, Oxford. In 1887 he was admitted as the first Oxford student at the newly opened British School at Athens where Francis Penrose was the Director. He excavated with Ernest Gardner at Old Paphos on Cyprus.
Hogarth was appointed the fourth Director of the British School at Athens (1897-1900). In 1899 he directed the British excavations at the Greek settlement of Naukratis in the Nile Delta. Hogarth became a director of the Cretan Exploration Fund, excavating near Knossos, then at the Dictaean Cave at Psychro, and at Kato Zakro.
He subsequently excavated on behalf of the British Museum at Ephesus, and in 1908 succeeded Arthur Evans as Director of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. In the years leading up to the First World War he excavated at Carchemish (with T.E. Lawrence). Hogarth then prompted through the Palestine Exploration Fund the archaeological survey of the Sinai peninsula (‘The wilderness of Zin’).
In 1915 Hogarth was invited to join the Arab Bureau in Cairo, holding the rank of Lt-Commander in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR). He provided key intelligence for Allenby’s attack through Gaza and the subsequent capture of Jerusalem. He was later invited to join the peace conference at Versailles.
His post-war research was on the Hittites that took him back to his early travels in eastern Anatolia.
Hogarth died in November 1927 in Oxford.
- David Gill, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (2004) [ODNB]