Battle Abbey was established on the top of the hill that formed a central part of the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The battlefield is now an integral part of the English Heritage site and visitors are able to walk the slopes where interpretation boards help to explain the different stages of the engagement.
John Howard, the First Duke of Norfolk, was killed at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 where he was commanding the part of Richard III’s army.
His tomb appears to be located in a tomb constructed on the north side of the aisle of the church at Thetford Priory, and adjacent to the north transept. The body may have been moved to St Michael’s, Framlingham.
The tomb of Thomas Howard (1443-1524), Second Duke of Norfolk, was placed at the east end of the original church (that had been extended). He defeated the army of James IV of Scotland at Flodden in September 1513.
Today marks the anniversary of the battle of Culloden, near to Inverness, on 16 April 1746. The battlefield is now maintained and interpreted by the National Trust for Scotland. The Old Leanach cottage stands at the heart of the site and has been restored.
The figures for the Leading Visitor Attractions in the UK are now available (ALVA). The top attraction for the National Trust for Scotland (NTS) is the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum with 235K visitors (no. 116). The nearby Culzean Castle was close behind with 228K (no. 118).