The inside of the curtain-wall at Tantallon Castle has a series of horizontal sockets. The Ministry sign helpfully explains them as the traces of likely lean-to buildings. The Historic Scotland guidebook by Chris Tabraham suggests the possibility that they are the remains of the ‘munition houss’ mentioned in 1566.
Dirleton Castle is set in landscaped grounds. Visitors are invited to keep off the banks, and to use the paths and stairways to visit the remains. This avoids unsightly tracks appearing on the slopes.
The dovecot in the grounds of Dirleton Castle dates to the 16th century. It contains over 1000 nesting places for pigeons.
The battlements at Tantallon Castle provide a wonderful platform for looking out towards Bass Rock and the mouth of the Firth of Forth. There are warning signs not to go to cross the safety fencing.
The lower part of the castle is adjacent to some sheer drops and there are further warning signs.
The keep of Warkworth Castle in Northumberland contains two wine cellars on the ground floor of the east side of the building. The most southerly connected to the Great Hall above by a flight of stairs.
The Spur Battery at Dumbarton Castle was constructed about 1680. It lies to the west of the Governor’s House. The Spur Battery was intended to cover the southern approach to the castle.
- Conwy Castle: 204,172 (184,758)
- Caernarfon Castle: 195,352 (175,216)
- Caerphilly Castle: 93,421 (107,887)
- Harlech Castle: 89,038 (75,512)
- Beaumaris Castle: 82,368 (86,854)
- Tintern Abbey: 70,808 (67,520)
- Castell Coch: 69,004 (69,418)
- Raglan Castle: 66,058 (59,385)
- Caerleon Roman Baths and Amphitheatre: 60,192 (55,977)
- Chepstow Castle: 59,463 (56,976)
- Criccieth Castle: 45,715 (43,528)
- Kidwelly Castle: 31,686 (29,359)
- St David’s Bishop’s Palace: 24,308 (24,646)
- Blaenavon Ironworks: 29,107 (22,467)
- Rhuddlan Castle: 25,872 (20,701)
- Plas Mawr: 23,658 (24,738)
- Carreg Cennen Castle: 23,345 (21,776)
- Cilgerran Castle: 19,416 (17,894)
- Laugharne Castle: 12,209 (15,807)
- Tretower Castle and Court: 13,587 (11,537)
- Denbigh Castle: 10,154 (12,584)
- Valle Crucis Abbey: 7,355 (8,117)
- White Castle: 7,682 (8,603)
- Oxwich Castle: 6,336 (6,070)
- Strata Florida Abbey: 5,280 (6,391)
- Dolwyddelan Castle: 4,645 (5,768)
- Lamphey Bishop’s Palace: 3,220 (2,856)
- Rug Chapel: 2,674 (3,387)
- Weobley Castle: 2,071 (2,495)
- Margam Stones Museum: 139 (438)