Binham Priory: church

Binham Priory from the west © David Gill

The nave of the priory church at Binham remains in use.

Binham Priory, nave © David Gill

Parts of the south aisle lie outside the present parish church.

Binham Priory, south aisle and northern part of cloister © David Gill
Binham Priory © David Gill

The choir and presbytery lie to the east of the present parish church and are now in a ruinous state.

Binham Priory © David Gill

The north and south transepts are clearly marked.

Binham Priory, south transept © David Gill
Binham Priory © David Gill
Binham Priory © David Gill
Binham Priory, night stairs in south transept © David Gill

The night stairs are located in the south transept. These led to the dorter.

Binham Priory © David Gill
Binham Priory © David Gill

The foundations of the late 11th century building are marked out in the north aisle.

The Lady Chapel may have been located on the north side.

Binham Priory © David Gill

St Martin’s Kirk, Haddington

St Martin’s Kirk, Haddington © David Gill

St Martin’s Kirk is on the eastern edge of Haddington and dates to the 12th century. It is possible that the kirk was attended by the reformer John Knox who was born in the town.

The Kirk is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.

St Martin’s Kirk, Haddington © David Gill

Rudston Monolith

Monolith at Rudston © David Gill

A monolith can be found in the churchyard of All Saints at Rudston, Yorkshire. The stone stands at 7.7 m high.

The location is as well known as the burial place of the novelist Winifred Holtby (1898-1935).

Stokesay Castle

Stokesay Castle © David Gill
Stokesay Castle © David Gill

Stokesay Castle is a gem situated in Shropshire close to the border with Wales. Simon Thurley describes it as ‘the finest thirteenth-century manor house in England’. The view from the South Tower gives a view over the courtyard to the half-timbered gatehouse facing the hall. Beyond is the parish church of St John the Baptist.

The gatehouse seems to have been constructed in the first half of the 17th century, perhaps by Charles Baldwyn c. 1640-41.

The castle came into the guardianship of English Heritage in 1992 after a programme of restoration.

%d bloggers like this: