Appuldurcombe House: guidebooks

Appuld_EH

1986 (2nd ed.; repr. 2001)

Appuldurcombe is a major house on the Isle of Wight. The fragile structure was placed in State Guardianship in 1952. It had last been occupied in 1909.

Appuld_MPBW

1967

The Ministry guidebook was prepared by L.O.J. Boynton (1967). This takes a different format to other ‘blue’ guides. It starts with an introduction, and then presents a short essay on the Worsleys of Appuldurcombe. This is followed by a long section on the building of Appuldurcombe, with sections on Sir Robert Worsley (1701–13), Sir Richard Worsley (1773–82) and the Yarborough period (1805–55) and after. Finally there is a description of the house and grounds. The text is supported iwth a block of 32 endnotes.  There are 9 black and white plates, and a table showing the 18th century cost of the house. Inside the back cover are plans of the park and of the house itself.

Appuld_DOE

1967 (3rd impress. 1971)

The DOE guide (1971) is essentially the same as the earlier MPBW one except that it had integrated images. The English Heritage Guide (1986), that continues in print (most recently in 2009), is a revised and expanded version of Boynton’s 1967 text. It now starts with a tour and description, broken down into elements of the structure. This is followed by a history of Appuldurcombe starting in the Anglo-Saxon period. The final section is the building history. There are now 37 supporting endnotes.

This is one of several Ministry guides that continue to have a life under English Heritage.

Guidebooks for Audley End

Audley End

Audley End (1955)

The original Ministry of Works guidebook for Audley End in Essex was by Bryan H. St John O’Neil (1950). A third edition appeared in 1958, and this formed the basis of the (anonymous) Ministry of Public Buildings and Works Official Guidebook.

audley_end_mpbw

1958 (3rd ed; 1967, 5th impress.)

audley_end_eh_white

1984 (2nd ed. 1991)

English Heritage replaced this guide with a new one by P.J. Drury and I.R. Gow (1984; 2nd ed. 1991). This had the standard ‘white’ cover with red title.

audley_end_eh_col

1997 (rev. 2002; rev. 2005; repr. 2007)

This was replaced in 1997 by a large format colour guide. The present English Heritage ‘red’ guide is by Paul Drury (2010).

audley_end_eh_red

2010 (rev. repr. 2011)

Ministry of Works: Audley End

Audley End

Audley End (1955)

We tend to think of the formal ‘blue’ Ministry of Works guidebooks. But the one for Audley End in Essex (London: HMSO, 1955; 1 shilling) is not only green but has a line drawing on the cover. It was written by B. H. St. J. O’Neil (formerly Chief Inspector of ancient Monuments), R.J.B. Walker (Curator of Pictures, Ministry of Works) and F.J.B. Watson (Assistant Director, Wallace Collection).

The guide runs over 22 pages and there are plans (p. 10-11) and black and white photographs:

  • History (3-9) [No mention is made of the wartime role of the house.]
  • Description (12-22)