Finchale Priory: dorter and reredorter

IMG_2985

Finchale Priory © David Gill

The dorter at Finchale Priory in Co. Durham is located on the east side of the cloister above the chapter house. It connected to the south transept of the church via a night stair. Sir Charles Peers suggested that the large room at the south end of the range ‘which in other monasteries served as a dayroom, is here too ill-lighted for such purpose, and at any rate in the later days of the priory can have been merely a storeroom’.

IMG_2984-Edit

Finchale Priory © David Gill

On the east side of the dorter was the reredorter.

IMG_2992

Finchale Priory © David Gill

IMG_2991-Edit2

Finchale Priory, reredorter © David Gill

Finchale Priory: children and heritage sites

IMG_3002-Edit

Finchale Priory © David Gill

The Benedictine priory of Finchale Priory in County Durham is situated in a bend of the river Wear.

There are two Ministry signs warning of the dangers to be found at a heritage site: one on the north side of the church, and the other at the first floor entrance to the hall.

IMG_2972

Finchale Priory © David Gill

The guidebook was written by Sir Charles Peers.

Finchale Priory

1987 [1989]

1987 [1989]

Heritage guides can have a long life. Some of the best examples are those written by A.J. Taylor for Caernarfon, Beaumaris and Conway castles. The guidebook for Finchale Priory was written by Sir Charles Peers, Chief Inspector of Ancient Monuments, in 1933. It appeared as an English Heritage guide in 1984, revised in 1987, and reprinted in 1989. The guide follows the standard format of History (pp. 4-70, and Description and Tour (pp. 10-15). There is a plan in text (pp. 8-9). There are a limited number of black and white photographs.

This guidebook (1989) also notes the sponsorship of Gateway Foodmarkets Ltd. (see Longthorpe Tower).