Battle of Navarino: the British Monument

The British Monument, Navarino © David Gill

Next week is the 200th anniversary of the start of the Greek War of Independence. The Battle of Navarino, in the south-west Peloponnese, took place on 20 October 1827 when the allied fleet of Britain, France and Russia defeated the Ottomans.

The British monument is placed on one of the small islands in the bay. Some of the ships were subsequently based at Nauplion.

For more on the Royal Navy in Greece in this period:

Gill, D. W. J., and C. Gill. 2010. “H.M.S. Belvidera and the Temple of Minerva.” Notes and Queries 57: 199-210. [DOI]

The British Monument, Navarino © David Gill

Taktikopolis: Greek War of Independence

IMG_1687
Taktikopolis © David Gill

The fort guarding the isthmus leading to the Methana peninsula marks the site of Taktikopolis, established during the Greek War of Independence. It served as the base of the Frenchman Colonel Fabvier, and was probably constructed in 1826-27. Fabvier considered the base to be ‘the Cadiz of Greece’.

The fort appears to have been designed to contain artillery, with two towers facing the approach from the south.

Immediately to the north of the fort, and slightly overlapping with it, is a classical or hellenistic elliptical defence work.

IMG_1681
Taktikopolis © David Gill

IMG_1696
Taktikopolis from the Methana peninsula © David Gill

%d bloggers like this: