Stonehenge © David Gill
Today is the centenary of Stonehenge being given to the nation by (Sir) Cecil and Mary Chubb (1876-1934). He had purchased the site in 1915 from the estate of Sir Edmund Antrobus for £6,600 (Knight, Frank, and Rutley, Salisbury, September 21, 1915, lot 15). The handover was made to Sir Alfred Mond on 26 October 1915.
The surrounding land was purchased in 1927.
1991 (2nd ed. rev. 2000)
White Castle lies between Abergavenny and Monmouth in the Welsh Marches. Its origins lie in the Norman Conquest of the region, but the earliest stone remains date to the 12th century. It was placed in State Guardianship in 1922.
C.A. Ralegh Radford prepared the guidebook for White Castle in 1934 (along with the other two castles of ‘The Three Castles’: Grosmont and Skenfrith). The DOE Blue Guide is partially bilingual. The title page (but not the cover) gives the English and Welsh titles of the site: White Castle / Castell Gwyn, and it was prepared by the DOE on behalf of the Secretary of State for Wales. The guide is in two main parts: history and description. However it is introduced with a short summary in Welsh (pp. 5–7). There is a foldout plan inside the back cover.
The 1991 Cadw guide for the Three Castles was prepared by Jeremy K. Knight.
1962 (7th impress. 1976)
1948 (repr. 1975)
Dolbadarn Castle is located next to Llyn Padarn in Gwynedd. It was placed in State Guardianship in 1941, and C.A. Ralegh Radford prepared the first guide in 1948. This six page guide continued until the 1970s. It is divided into a history and description; a plan is placed on page 2.
Dun Beag, Skye © David Gill
Brochs are an important part of the archaeological landscape. Several have been placed in State Guardianship in Scotland.
Shetland: Clickimin Broch; Mousa Broch
Orkney: Broch of Gurness; Midhowe Broch [Guidebook: HES]
1993 (rev. ed. 2008)
Western Lewis: Dun Carloway
Skye: Dun Beag
Mainland: Glenelg Brochs (Dun Telve, Dun Troddan)
Glenelg © David Gill
Sutherland: Dun Dornaigil; Carn Liath
Scottish Borders: Edin’s Hall
1954 (4th impress. 1970)
Craigmillar Castle, to the south-east of Edinburgh, was placed in State Guardianship in 1946. W. Douglas Simpson prepared the official guidebook in 1954. At the heart of the castle is the tower house, constructed after 1374 by Sir Simon Preston of Gorton. Queen Mary used the castle as her residence after the murder of Rizzio in 1566.
The guidebook is divided into description and (a short) history. A plan of the castle, and detail of the floors is provided in the centre pages.
1957 (5th impress. 1974)
Hermitage Castle and the adjacent chapel were placed in State Guardianship in 1930. The ‘blue’ guide was prepared by W. Douglas Simpson. There is a short history indicating that the castle was founded by 1300. It was captured by Sir William Douglas in 1338. There is then a description with a series of black and white photographs, and a ground floor plan.
A short description of Hermitage Chapel, settled by brother William from Kelso. The guide closes with a section on Ballad Lore, and the account of Lord Soulis.
1982 (3rd ed. 1987)
Simpson’s blue guide continued into the period of Historic Scotland. The text is almost identical. The introduction becomes ‘Renouned among Border fortresses’. The history is turned into ‘The strength of Liddesdale’; the seal of William Douglas that served on the cover of the blue guide is inserted in the text. The description became ‘Grim indeed’. Among the photographs is one from the air derived from the Royal Commission. The plan that appears in the double pages of the blue guide appears inside the back cover, although the scale is reproduced in metres. The section on Ballad Lore is included along with a portrait of Sir Walter Scott with Hermitage Castle in the background.
The section on the chapel includes photographs as well as a plan and restoration made in 1900.
This guide included a family tree of the Douglases (and points to other family castles, namely Threave, Tantallon, and Aberdour) and one of Hepburn (with other castles, Crichton, Hailes, Huntly; Spynie Palace; St Andrews Cathedral). There are portraits of James Hepburn, 4th Early of Bothwell, and his second wife, Mary Queen of Scots. (The portrait of Mary in the HS guide uses the portrait in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.)
Note the different colours used for ‘Hermitage’ and ‘Castle’.
A new Historic Scotland ‘Official Souvenir Guide’ was prepared by Chris Tabraham. This starts with a Guided Tour, followed by the History. There is mention of a possible deer park. No plan is included although a drawing of the castle from the air helps to orientate the visitor.
Warkworth Hermitage © David Gill
Warkworth Hermitage was placed in State Guardianship in 1923. The Ministry of Works guardianship sign still stands. (For another in Northumberland, see Chesterholm Roman Milestone).