Bury St Edmunds Abbey

Bury St Edmunds Abbey

The abbey at Bury St Edmunds can be traced back to the early 7th century. The remains of the martyred St Edmund were buried here in 903. The Abbey survived until 1539 when it was handed to the Crown. English Heritage are now custodians of the site.

This guidebook, published in 1971 (and reprinted here in 1976) was prepared by A. B. Whittingham for the Department of the Environment. This was based on Whittingham’s 1951 article published in theĀ Archaeological Journal. [For details see here.]

The guide (331 pp.) contains:

a. History

b. Description

c. Glossary

There are two plans inside the back cover: the Abbey Church (and crypt), and the Abbey precinct. There are also back and white photographs as well as reproductions of 18th century views of the ruins.

%d bloggers like this: