The first floor of the Ruthven lodging at Dirleton Castle is accessed by a circular staircase. Immediately inside is a ‘Wall cupboard once fitted with shelves’.
Inchcolm Abbey was placed in State Guardianship in 1924. The remains was conserved by J. Wilson Paterson, the architect in charge of Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings in Scotland. Paterson prepared the first guidebook in 1937; a second edition was published in 1950. It includes a fold-out plan of the abbey, as well as a series of evolving plans.
The foundation was Augustinian, and was probably linked to Scone or St Andrews. It became an abbey in 1235.
A new guidebook (‘Official Souvenir Guide’) was prepared by Richard Fawcett, David McRoberts and Fiona Stewart in 1989 and revised for Historic Scotland in 1998. This starts with a guided tour, and followed by ‘The story of Inchcolm Abbey and Island’. The history is taken up to the Second World War with the defence of the First of Forth.
A new format souvenir guide was prepared by Kirsty Owen.
We have commented on the wonderful Historic Scotland museum at Whithorn. The old Ministry sign is displayed in addition to the new HES information board.
Above the door is an inscription in both Latin and English dating to 1730 recording the benefaction of both the parish and town (donis parochiae et urbis structa).
The site of the night stairs from the dorter at Dundrennan Abbey are located in the south transept.
The dorter was located above the chapter house, and remains of one of the windows can be seen in the upper section.
The reredorter was located at the southern end of the range.
The dorter lay on the east side of the cloister, above the chapter house. The night stairs to it were in the north transept of the abbey church. The dorter was accessed through a round doorway.
The day stairs to the dorter lay in the north-east corner of the cloister, on the south side of the dorter. Note the roof line of the dorter on the exterior of the north transept of the church.
The reredorter lay on the east side of the dorter.
A series of five houses are located in the south court of Crossraguel Abbey. They probably date to the 15th century.
The 1589 quotation is from John Vaus, who was appointed commendator (in the period following the Reformation). ‘Pur men’ are ‘poor men’.