Dryburgh Abbey: book cupboard

IMG_2779

Dryburgh Abbey © David Gill

A book cupboard is located on the east side of the cloister at Dryburgh Abbey. It is adjacent into the main east processional doorway into the church, and on the other side the library and vestry.

J.S. Richardson (in the ‘Blue Guide’) noted: ‘Near the processional doorway is a wall-press or aumbry, once fitted with doors and shelves to contain the books used in the cloister’.

IMG_2780

Dryburgh Abbey © David Gill

IMG_2757

Dryburgh Abbey © David Gill

 

Library and Sacristy at Byland

Byland Abbey was founded in 1177 by monks from Furness in Cumbria (although the earliest buildings probably date back to c. 1165). The Library and Sacristy are located in the space between the south transept of the abbey church and the chapter house (on the east side of the cloister).

IMG_9046

Library at Byland Abbey © David Gill

IMG_9048

Sacristy at Byland Abbey © David Gill