Orford Ness lighthouse dismantled

Orford Ness Lighthouse © David Gill

Work has started to dismantle the lighthouse on Orford Ness due to coastal erosion (Martin Barber and Luarence Cawley, “Orfordness Lighthouse is dismantled as sea edges closer“, BBC News 16 July 2020). It is hoped to place elements of the lighthouse elsewhere on the ness.

See earlier account.

Orford Ness Lighthouse and the sea

IMG_1346-Edit
Orford Ness Lighthouse © David Gill

Work is continuing to protect the lighthouse on Orford Ness, Suffolk from further encroachment by the sea (‘Orfordness Lighthouse: Volunteers’ battle against the sea‘, BBC News 12 August 2018).

The lighthouse is now managed by the Orfordness Lighthouse Trust. It was constructed in 1792.

IMG_1327-Edit copy
Orford Ness Lighthouse © David Gill

Hurst Castle

IMG_3328-Edit
Hurst Castle © David Gill

Hurst Castle was built to guard the western approach to the Solent. At the centre lies the Tudor artillery fort constructed between 1541 and 1544.

The coastal defences were strengthened during the 1850s, and the west and east wings at Hurst were added in the 1860s and 1870s. It served as a coastal battery in World War II.

Opposite Hurst Castle was Fort Albert (on the right of the picture below).

IMG_3329-Edit
Hurst Castle from Needles Point © David Gill

IMG_3532-Edit
Hurst Castle and east wing © David Gill

IMG_3535-Edit
Fort Albert, the Needles, and Hurst Castle © David Gill

Crinan Canal

IMG_3196
The lighthouse at Crinan © David Gill

The 9 mile long Crinan Canal skirts the edge of the Kilmartin prehistoric landscape. It was constructed to avoid the long sea route round the Mull of Kintyre. The canal runs from Ardrishaig on Loch Gilp to Crinan and the Sound of Jura. The canal was started in 1794, and opened in 1809, with further modifications by Thomas Telford.

The route of the canal is described in Sharon Webb’s In the Footsteps of Kings.

%d bloggers like this: