This sea-horse features among the sea creatures at the bottom of a large mural of St Christopher in the church of St Mary the Virgin at Layer Marney in Essex. The painting dates to c. 1520; its good condition is due to the fact that it was overpainted in the Reformation. It was rediscovered when the church was re-ordered in 1870.
The abbey at Bury St Edmunds can be traced back to the early 7th century. The remains of the martyred St Edmund were buried here in 903. The Abbey survived until 1539 when it was handed to the Crown. English Heritage are now custodians of the site.
This guidebook, published in 1971 (and reprinted here in 1976) was prepared by A. B. Whittingham for the Department of the Environment. This was based on Whittingham’s 1951 article published in the Archaeological Journal. [For details see here.]
The guide (331 pp.) contains:
There are two plans inside the back cover: the Abbey Church (and crypt), and the Abbey precinct. There are also back and white photographs as well as reproductions of 18th century views of the ruins.