Stonehenge © David Gill
Today is the centenary of Stonehenge being given to the nation by (Sir) Cecil and Mary Chubb (1876-1934). He had purchased the site in 1915 from the estate of Sir Edmund Antrobus for £6,600 (Knight, Frank, and Rutley, Salisbury, September 21, 1915, lot 15). The handover was made to Sir Alfred Mond on 26 October 1915.
The surrounding land was purchased in 1927.
Castlerigg Stone Circle © David Gill
Castlerigg stone circle in Cumbria was placed in state guardianship by General Pitt-Rivers in 1883 along with a number of other prehistoric monuments (e.g. King Arthur’s Round Table; Mayburgh Henge; Nine Ladies in Derbyshire). This decision came in the wake of the Ancient Monuments Act (1882).
The site is now managed by the National Trust.
Rollright Stones: King Stone, c. 1993 © David Gill
The Rollright Stones lie in Oxfordshire. The King Stone lies outside the main circle.
This image was taken about 1993. Sadly in 2007 the sign was vandalised and had to be removed (details here).