Among the mosaics still in situ in the Roman villa at Bignor is a panel of winter. The room was on the west side of the complex. The villa was discovered in July 1811, and the mosaics were opened to the public in 1814. Special buildings were constructed to protect the mosaics from further damage.
The 2016 list of Leaving Visitor Attractions in the UK has been published. The top English Heritage site continues to be Stonehenge (at no. 23) with 1,381,855 visitors, with a modest 1.1 % increase on 2015 figures.
The remaining English Heritage properties are (with overall ranking):
- Dover Castle (no. 98): 333,289
- Osborne House (no. 116): 265,011
- Tintagel Castle (no. 125): 229,809
- Audley End House and Gardens (no. 149): 165,799
- Whitby Abbey (no. 151): 151,810
- Clifford’s Tower (no. 154): 146,703
- Battle Abbey (no. 160): 137,771
- Kenwood (no. 161): 134,416
- Carisbrooke Castle (no. 164): 127,012
- Wrest Park (no. 166): 124,305
- Kenilworth Castle (no. 169): 107,993
- Housesteads Roman Fort (no. 172): 102,004
- Eltham Palace and Gardens (no. 176): 94,635
- Bolsover Castle (no. 179): 91,880
- Walmer Castle and Gardens (no. 180): 91,752
- Pendennis Castle (no. 191): 73,907
The major increase in visitors were seen at Osborne House, Tintagel Castle, Audley End House and Gardens, Battle Abbey, Carisbrooke Castle, Wrest Park, Walmer Castle and Gardens. There was a significant downturn in visitors for Kenwood.
The fall of France in the spring of 1940 meant that Sussex became the front line. The ruins of Pevensey Castle—a Roman Saxon Shore fort as well as a medieval castle—were used to disguised strong points. Teams from the Ministry assisted with the construction of the defences so that they would blend into the ruins of the Roman and medieval walls.
This pill box was mounted on the wall of the medieval keep. Note the Ministry sign placed below it: ‘Gun Emplacement / 1939-1945’.
- For 3D reconstruction of the WW2 defences of Pevensey Castle
Pevensey Castle was given to the Office of Works by the Duke of Devonshire in 1925. It became one of the front line defences of Britain in 1940.
Pevensey Castle was one of the Saxon Shore forts and was later reused as a medieval castle.
For guidebooks to the fort and castle see here.
Sir Charles Peers prepared the guidebooks for two of the Saxon Shore forts that had been reused as medieval castles: Portchester Castle in Hampshire and Pevensey Castle in Sussex.
The guide is divided into two main sections: history and description. There is a foldout plan inside the back cover. Peers describes the nature of the Saxon Shore forts and some of their reuse. He continues with the granting of the site to the half-brother of William the Conqueror.
Peers notes the use of the fort during the Second World War including the insertion of pill-boxes and a blockhouse to protect against tanks: ‘By the grace of God these twentieth-century defences were never put to the test’.
During the 1970s the Department of the Environment produced a number of themed guidebooks to explore a group of sites. Stephen Johnson produced one on the Saxon Shore (1977) to cover the string of Late Roman forts that ran from Brancaster in Norfolk to Portchester in Hampshire. The site of one lies in Suffolk: Walton Castle at Felixstowe (although this has now dropped into the sea). Burgh Castle is now in Norfolk (although it is in the Suffolk volume of Pevsner).
Johnston’s 28 page illustrated booklet, printed in landscape, covers the British forts. There are also maps showing the parallel forts from Holland and France.
There are short descriptions of the British forts (some with aerial photographs or plans): Brancaster; Burgh Castle; Walton Castle; Bradwell; Reculver; Richborough; Dover; Lympne; Pevensey; and Portchester.