Journal summary: APT Bulletin articles showcase cutting-edge preservation techniques, as well as innovative applications of established restoration technologies. All those concerned with historic structures – architects, conservators, engineers, contractors, craftspersons, educators, developers, property owners, historians, apprentices, and students – will learn about how to treat historic buildings and landscapes more intelligently, thus affording properties longer, more viable lives.
Articles in the APT Bulletin include case studies demonstrating best practices and exemplary craftsmanship, international debates on preservation philosophy, and histories of building materials, technologies, and systems. Special theme issues of the APT Bulletin address emerging issues and trends; recent special issues have dealt with preservation engineering and the integration of environmental sustainability and historic preservation. Many Bulletin articles are developed from papers presented at the annual APT conference or other APT-sponsored events and symposia. The Bulletin also publishes reviews of new preservation-related books. First issued in 1969, the Bulletin is peer-reviewed and produced three times per year.
Publisher: Association for Preservation Technology International (APT)
There are preparations underway at Sutton Hoo for the ‘Summer Solstice’ weekend. One of the displays includes (reconstructed) material from Switzerland that was contemporary with the Sutton Hoo burial.
One of the more unusual ‘Ministry’ signs at New Abbey Cornmill directs visitors to the upstairs video room. This suggests that this style of sign continued into the early 1980s, just prior to the creation of Historic Scotland.
A more contemporary sign would probably direct people to the audio-visual room, or not even draw attention to the type of technology.
This is one of the more unusual features of Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight. This comes from a British Pathe news bulletin of 1963. The castle was placed under state guardianship and is now part of English Heritage.
The well was dug after 1136, and is some 49 m deep. The first recorded mention of the use of donkeys to turn the wheel dates to 1696.
A more recent video from the BBC shows the revised conditions in 2011, although some of the older Ministry signage can still be spotted.