Arbroath Abbey was founded by William the Lion in 1178 in memory of Thomas Becket of Canterbury. Tironensian monks from Kelso helped to establish the community. The abbey was the setting for the Declaration of Arbroath on 5 April 1320.
The official guide is divided into two sections: a history by R.L. Mackie; and a description by Stewart Cruden. A conjectural reconstruction is placed in the centre, and a fold-out plan inside the back cover.
The Ministry of Works prepared a very simple leaflet derived from the Royal Commission’s Inventory for Roxburghshire. The cover seems to be preprinted and the inside and back cover contain a typescript.
There is a more detailed discussion in the HMSO guide to Scottish Border Abbeys.